Skip to main content

Saving Brie

My outreach to young women began many years ago.  Just barely out of high school, I joined the bus ministry at my then home church in Burlington, New Jersey.  For ten years I served as bus pastor in my community. Every Saturday morning we would meet at the church for prayer and go out into the community. I have knocked on many doors during my time as a bus pastor and have found this to be a true," You never know what go on behind closed doors".  Bus ministry gave me a front row seat.  

One Saturday after prayer I started out on my bus route as usual. This time I had someone with me who was on break from bible college.  We decided after visiting my regular route, we would visit a new street.  After knocking on several doors, we came to this strange looking house.  We knocked on the door and a middle aged man answered the door. I introduced myself, told him where we were from and he invited us in.  At first we were all laugh and smiles until he shared a bit of information about himself.  I said to him, " We are  Christians". And he said to us, "I am a warlock".  My friend and I were speechless. At that time, neither of us fully understood what it meant to be a warlock. His house was creepy with its red shrouded curtains, cluttered rooms, little statues around the house and the wall of his in ground pool was painted black.  We still preached to this self proclaimed warlock, invited him to church and bid him a farewell. In bus ministry you meet all kinds of people.

Meeting this young girl placed in my heart a desire for outreach to young women -  Brie was in the fourth grade when I met her.  I can remember knocking on the door of where she lived.  Brie would come to the door to let me know if she and her brothers would be attending church the next day.  She never invited me in and would speak to me with the door slightly ajar.  Brie was responsible for looking after her two younger brothers.  I often felt it was too much responsibility placed on her at such a young age. After meeting her mother, I understood why Brie seemed to embrace the role of caretaker of her brothers. Brie and I had good relationship.  She loved attending Sunday school and being involved in the activities.  

In September of every year the Sunday school would graduate the children to their new grade level.  Brie at this time was entering seventh grade and moving on to teen church.  Brie was not ready to attend teen church, so she along with two friends asked me if they could remain in children's church for a while. I agreed to give the girls the time they needed and they remained in children's church (6th grade).  Eventually Brie moved on to teen church, but shortly after, something happened.  My sweet little girl metamorphosed right before my eyes.  She started wearing short tight skirts, heavy make-up and dyed her hair black.  She became distant and somewhat of a loner. Everyone noticed the change in her, but didn't know what to do.  Brie stopped attending church all together.  Her brothers would faithfully ride the bus to church until the family suddenly moved out the community. I would often see Brie walking  along the corridor of the highway dressed provocatively.  I would stop her on the street to just talk with her. By the time Bri was in the 10th grade, she had dropped out of high school and was dating a married man. Brie worked as a receptionist at his insurance agency.  The agency was forced to close down due to fraud, no big surprise there. I was never to see my Brie again.  It has been over 25 years and from time to time, Brie comes to mind.  I wonder if she is safe, happy and doing well?


By: P.O.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miriam

Miriam was the big sister of Moses. Her name (sometimes rendered as Mary in English) means 'bitter' although it could also signify 'one who loves or is loved by Yahweh'. Yahweh means 'the self-existent one'. Yahweh is one of the ways the children of Israel referred to God. Meet the family Amram and Jochebed were the father and mother of Miriam, Aaron and Moses. Moses was the youngest of the three yet became the leader of the pack (Exodus 2:3-4; Exodus 6:20; Numbers 26:59). Moses was the man who led Israel out of Egypt. As the big sister of the family Miriam knew all the secrets. Women often get to know about things that men don't. When Pharaoh of Egypt decreed the death of all Israel baby boys in a desperate attempt to curb the growth of Israel, Amram and Jochebed put baby Moses into a waterproof basket and set it on the river in an attempt to save his life. It was Miriam who was watching the basket when the daughter of Pharaoh discovered it. It w

What Happen To Your Rulership?

My desire is for women to be restored to their rightful place of rulership of Grace, Femininity, Beauty, Temperance, and Excellence.  Together they work from within and shine outwardly. The enemy of our soul works counterclockwise in that he uses the exterior and destroys what is on the inside. There is a direct correlation between rulership and judgment.  In order to effectively rule, there must be the practice of sound judgment.  When rulership is void of sound judgment, a poor rulership is inevitable.  Rulership is a choice.  You can either rule or be ruled.  Walking in rulership is important because it sets order and establishes boundaries.  God (YAH) has given us rulership over our conduct, appearance, and speech.  These things have rulership over you by choice. Rulership is the difference between YAH's people and the world. Rulership is living the way YAH (God) intended for us to live before the foundation of the world. It is time to take a long hard look in the mir

Is MakeUp Deceptive?

 Is there something deceptive about makeup? I believe it is a topic worth exploring. My interest in this topic awakened after receiving a makeup kit which a family member ordered for me online.  When the item arrived the name on the kit gave me an uneasy feeling because I understood the meaning of the name.  Dismissing the feeling I went ahead and used the makeup I had anxiously waited for. But the Lord brought it to my remembrance again and this time I could not ignore.    The Beauty Industry in the US, which includes hair care and skincare, is a 445 billion market (Forbes, May 2017). The US has the largest cosmetic market in the world. It was expected in 2016 to exceed 62 billion in revenue and is expected to maintain positive growth through 2018, (Market Research.com 2016) In the U.S., the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which regulates cosmetics, defines cosmetics as “intended to be applied to the human body for cleansing, beautifying, promoting attractiveness, or